Packers defeat the Blue Devils 20-17.

The third time was a charm for Colquitt County. Twice they had met Norcross and twice the Blue Devils have sent them packing. It wasn’t to be this time around as the Packers scored on their last possession to clinch a controversial 20-17 come-from-behind victory over the Blue Devils.

Anyone watching or listening to the play-by-play of the first quarter may have thought the Packers were going to run away with the game. Colquitt County scored a touchdown and two field goals on three straight possessions. It appeared that they could do as they pleased against the Blue Devils defense.

Senior quarterback Steve Krajewski threw for 101 of the offenses 138 passing yards in the quarter. Sophomore running back Daijun Edwards scored the only touchdown during the scoring spree punching it in from a yard out.

The Blue Devil defense found itself in the second quarter holding both Packers offensive series to 30 yards. Norcross senior linebacker Terrion Dangerfield, senior defensive backs Jacob Johnson and Jaelin Madison led the way with 12 tackles. Despite the 90-plus degree heat and zero help from the offense, the defense did not wilt.

It appeared the Blue Devils first half problems were going to continue in the third. After three plays in the first offensive series, the offense netted minus 4 yards.

A fumble recovery on the Packers 11 by senior defensive end Jordan Bowden lit the spark for the Blue Devils offense. On fourth and goal at the two, Louis Williams rolled right and fired a missile into the hands of junior receiver Rekevian Mathis. Norcross added a field goal on their next possession. University of Georgia commit Jake Carmada split the uprights from 52-yards out with room to spare cutting the Packers lead to 3.

The Packers defense continued its mastery of the Norcross offense. For the fourth consecutive series, Colquitt County pushed the Blue Devils backward for a net of minus 6 yards. Fortunately, the defense was still capable of making plays. Junior defensive end Keyshaun Williford sacked Krajewski knocking the ball to the ground right in front of an alert Dareus Barnhill (SR DE) who scooped it up for a 53-yard touchdown.

While the Blue Devils were still glowing over the play, the Packers went back to work. This time around the heat and lack of rest was showing in the legs of the Norcross defense. Twice the Blue Devils defense had the Packers in need of a third down conversion and twice they were unable to stop them. Krajewski’s 11-yard pass to Josh Hadley converted third-and-3. He came back three downs later and hit Cam Singletary with a 10-yard pass to convert third-and-9. A stop on either of those plays and Ty Leggett would not have had an opportunity to bust one for a 34-yard touchdown.

There were over five minutes remaining on the clock when the Blue Devils went on offense. It was plenty of time to drive the length of time for a game-winning touchdown or a game-tying field goal. The first 30 yards went well and it seemed the Head Coach Keith Maloof and staff would deal the Packers yet another heart-wrenching loss. But the Blue Devils offense of the first three-quarters returned to shoot itself in the foot, leg, and abdomen. Two illegal formation penalties and a 9-yard sack pushed the line of scrimmage back to the Colquitt County 39. Asking any kicker, let alone a high school one, to step in and make a 56-yard field goal was not good football. Especially when there were 30 seconds remaining on the clock and one down to pick up 10 yards. Williams’ pass to McKoy was right where it needed to be, hitting the senior by the sideline. McKoy’s momentum carried him out of bounds at the 30 seemingly stopping the clock or at least that’s what nearly everyone in the stadium thought. Somehow, the officials couldn’t decide where the ball was to be spotted but agreed the clock could continue to run. The play took barely 10 seconds to run but with all the fidgeting with the ball Norcross never had a chance to get the ball snapped for the last minute field goal attempt.